The internet has been growing at an astounding rate since its inception in the late 1990’s. Its estimated by Internet World Stats that there were only 16 million users online at the end of 1995 (0.4% of world population) and this number has since grown to 5.5 trillion (69% WP) as of 2022.
There are around 1.14 billion websites in the World, according to 2022 numbers by siteefy. Its estimated that only 17% of all websites in the world are active. The remaining 83% of all websites are not active.
There are 5x more inactive websites on the internet. Most of them are parked domains or have a similar function. Several inactive domains redirect to other active websites.
1 Billion Websites Created Over 23 Years
The Internet started with 1 website in 1991. The milestone of 1 billion websites was reached in September 2014. The web no longer went below a billion websites by March 2016.
The average Internet surfer who uses a search engine visits 25 websites among the displayed search results in three to four minutes.
The average duration of stay on each website is approximately eight seconds, including the click and load time.
An estimated 306 billion pieces of e-mail are sent and received each year, of which 80% are spam mails. This figure is projected to increase to 376.4 billion daily e-mails by 2025.
There are 30 to 50 billion web pages indexed through Google. In April 2004, Google had 36 million websites indexed.
Video Content is King
As of September 2022, YouTube is the second most visited site in the United States, with 9.83 Billion visits. Google was #1 with 18.02B visits, and Facebook was #3 with 5.21B visits.
Over 52% of web traffic consists of video content. The average user will utilize 100 minutes of watching videos daily. That amounts to roughly 14 hours per week and 420 hrs monthly. Compared to 2019, the time has grown by over 50%.
26% of all North American Desktop Internet traffic is going to YouTube. An average user spends around 37 minutes per visit.
The Ideal Domain Length is 8 Characters or Less
According to a study by Gaebler on domain name length, the average domain length for the top 10,000 most popular websites is just 8 characters. The average domain length for the top 1 million most popular websites is barely longer, at 10 characters.
There are over 157 million .com domain name registrations. The second most popular domain extension is .net but these domains only account for approximately 14 million total registrations. There are over 10.4 million .org name registrations.